We often get the question, "Why Ethiopia?" There are so many reasons to adopt from countries all over the world, including the United States. We are passionate about the protection and rescue of children all over the globe, but what led us to Ethiopia is the hope of a better future for the country, and at the same time the harsh realities of its current situation.
In a recent video I watched, I was reminded that
- 39% of the population lives on less than $1.25 a day.
- Only 50% of the population attend or has attended K-3 primary schools.
- There is one physician for every 35, 000 people.
- 46% of the 85 million people in Ethiopia are children.
- Of the 40 million children, 6 million are orphans.
- 123/1000 children in Ethiopia never make it to their fifth birthday.
Ethiopia's annual health budget is $140 million. Care for orphans in Ethiopia requires up to $115 million a month! This is an injustice that requires our attention and fervent action.
Children are a blessing, and our God will see to it that they are protected. "You shall not mistreat the widow or the fatherless child. If you do mistreat them, and they cry out to me, I will surely hear their cry and my wrath will burn..." Exodus 22:22-24
We want to join God in what He is already doing in the world to care for those in need. His heart is for the orphan, and if we bear His Name, our hearts should reflect His.
This is so much more than Mark and I having our first child(ren). The lives of millions are at stake, and our God is using His people to be the "hands and feet" of Christ. Our goal is His glory living in us and through us to draw all people to His Kingdom.
This is why we are adopting from Ethiopia.